Thursday, January 6, 2011

The Reality of Fear, Stress, and Worries

SHAKE IT OFF!

Over the past week, I've been listening to lectures and reading up on the science of fear. It's normal for people to experience fear because its an emotion triggered in the subconscious, but it doesn't mean that it can't be controlled... especially when you're not even in any real danger.

Fear (on lower levels), along with emotions such as worry, stress, and anxiety are all manifested in the mind. Therefore, you have the power to control whether you want to be/remain in this state or not. All of these emotions cannot be given to you by another person. Sure... others can play a big role in triggering these emotions, but they have no control over your state of being, as you have no control over theirs. 

This goes back to the power of thought that I mentioned in "My thoughts going into 2011" . Understand that it is IMPOSSIBLE to feel stressed, anxious, worried, or scared without first have stressful, anxious, worried, or scared thoughts. Try feeling this way without first thinking this way. Can you? Nope!

Here's an excerpt from Frank Herbert's Dune Book Series to give you another perspective: 

LITTANY AGAINST FEAR
I must not fear.
Fear is the mind killer.
Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past, I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
When the fear has gone, there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.
*Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear 

It sounds like such a difficult thing to control but its as easy as deciding that you want to be happy and taking the proper steps to feel that way... and it can happen instantly. Think happy thoughts :) Keep your mind focused on a state of joy. 

The first time I tried this, I actually started out in a great mood. I was walking into my room to put on a song that I really liked, and on my way there, I got a text message that really irritated me. Not only did it distract me, but my mind was dwelling to the point that it was effin up my mood. It took me a couple of minutes to snap out of it, but to do so, I simply decided that I wasn't going to let that "issue" bother me. Not only that, but I proceeded to turn on that song... smile.. and dance lol. The "issue" was gone. 

From there, I knew I could get better at this.  IT ALL STARTS WITH A THOUGHT! :) 

Related Links:

No comments :